Saturday, April 30, 2011

April 30 - At the Herb Market

Outside of the larger Chinese cities “Western Foreigners” aka “Big Noses” ... are something of an oddity.  I certainly discovered this when I visited the Ja Jin herb market outside of Anguo.
Clearly, I fit the profile. As red headed foreigner with an ample snout, I received a lot of stares and looks.  Getting through the noisy, busy market was a bit of a challenge. I just smiled, waved and kept on moving down the rows, and all told everything went very well.    

Ja Jin herb market is a busy (and aromatic) place with 400 vendors from all regions of China. There is a lot of chatting, visiting and a fair amount of high volume haggling going on (along with card games and smoking)  In addition to plant materials stalls feature exotic substances, minerals and animal products.   



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Glo...I have shared your adventures with Eb...Love the photos...Can you find out about vertigo? I have had it for a week now...Something in that 400 vendor area must have an herb for this vexing condition...can't look down...gerrr....Love and Miss you Judy