Sunday, May 1, 2011

May 1 - Subway Confessions

I have a confession. I have never ridden on the subway…at least until I came to China.


Growing up in California (the land of the free...way) the opportunity never presented itself AND my notion of the subway was strongly influenced by Hollywood. My impression was that subways are hot, dirty, graffiti- painted, scary places frequented by gang bangers, perverts and somebody usually gets shot.


Well that has all changed and I’m a subway frequent flyer! Beijing’s subway is clean, air conditioned and remarkably easy to use. Signs are in both English, pin yin (phonetic Chinese) and Chinese. People are helpful and polite. For 2Y (about 31 cents) you can ride all over the city. While it can be a bit crowed at times everybody just moves over and makes space on the car for one more.

No comments: